Cast iron supposedly goes back all the way to 5th Century BC China! Since then, chefs and home cooks have profited from the organic heat retaining material of Dutch ovens created by enameled cast iron. Delicious aromas are strewn about the abode, giving credit to that lovely, browned meat and all those veggies! Plus, that heavy lid provides even heat retention for slow, low, and long cooking times. Enameled cast iron Dutch ovens, with this special coating, retaining cold is a benefit to your summer potlucks that many forget to utilize. Just freeze or refrigerate your Dutch oven to keep things colder than some cheap plastic container…
Why A Dutch Oven Is Essential!
If you enjoy performing any of these styles of cooking in your home, then a Dutch oven will prove particularly useful!
If the answer was yes to one or more, then let’s move on to the particulars to seek out when purchasing a new Dutch oven.
- Consistency & quality of the cast iron
- Is the enamel coated cleanly and evenly?
- How deep & dense are the walls?
- Does the lid fit tightly & perfectly upon each placement?
- Was it made in the USA, Canada, or Europe? Important that this is yes, and to avoid China made.
Remember, quality counts when purchasing something that should last your family generations. Brands like Staub, Le Creuset, Lodge, All-Clad, and others all provide proof of the quality that each company brings to the table of Dutch ovens. All these brands have these 6 invaluable characteristics needed for a Dutch oven.
- Amazing temperature preservation
- An even, clean, and non-stick surface
- Hefty with dense foundation
- Skin-tight lid that has weight to it
- Can be applied at extreme heats for cookware
- Can be employed on all stove varieties
There is no better time than now to research a new Dutch oven. Winter is here and staying inside is not only advised due to the pandemic, but hey, it’s cold outside! Cook up a batch of homemade Dutch oven bread. This recipe from Tasty.com received 4.9 Stars from 3,000 votes! https://tasty.co/recipe/homemade-dutch-oven-bread