We love starting the new year off with a protein-packed bowl full of nutritious fuel. This dish features a spicy chorizo made with soy, and is loaded with flavourful cilantro-lime brown rice, black beans, corn, roasted sweet potatoes, and avocados. YUM!
Brown Rice Bowls with Soy Chorizo, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans, Corn, Green Onion, and Avocado
Makes 4 - 6 bowls
12 oz chorizo made from soy
1 cup brown rice
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice and zest of one lime, about 1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 medium (about 2 pounds) sweet potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 avocados, sliced
6 green onions, sliced
Garnishes:Cilantro leaves, sour cream, hot sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Make the brown rice in a saucepan with a lid. Rinse the brown rice before cooking. Using a 2:1 liquid-to-grain ratio, cook the brown rice in vegetable stock (or lightly salted water) until tender, about 35-45 minutes. Once the rice is tender, fluff with a fork and mix with the lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro.
3. Roast the sweet potatoes. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the cumin, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne until coated. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Roast until fork tender. Set aside until ready to assemble the bowls.
4. Cook the soy chorizo in a large skillet. Finely crumble when cooking until well-browned, then set aside until ready to assemble the bowls.
5. Drain and rinse the beans, and thaw the corn in the microwave in a small bowl. or in a skillet.
6. Slice the avocado, green onion, and chop more cilantro for garnish.
7. Load the bowls with all of the prepped ingredients and enjoy! Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired.